[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Secure HTTP mailing list

Hello:

I took a look at the URL mentioned in the message. This url
is part of Commercenet.

It appears that the standard for secure http is available
for anyone to look at. It can be accessed from the http
given or directly from:

http://www.commerce.net/information/standards/drafts/shttp.txt

I took a brief look at this standard and I think that it has
enough information for anyone to understand how secure http
is supposed to work. Furthermore I think that anyone should be
able to construct their own secure httpd server software using
this standard and other standards that are available to
the general Internet community.

The software that is referred to in the document that is in
www.commerce.net/software/Shttpd/Docs/manual.htm is that which
is written by Commercenet for Commercenet members and
customers. If you join Commercenet, you will be given
access to the secure http software.

Commercenet is just like anyone else in this business;
they use publicly available standards to write/create
their own implementation. It's the same with TCP/IP. Do
you see Sun releasing the source code for their TCP/IP
stack implementation on SunOs? Isn't Commercenet like
any other private vendor? Please forgive me if I sound
too unreasonable. It's the end of the day and I am looking
forward to a 15 mile bicycle ride in the pouring rain at
40 degrees to get home.

Mark